Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Whose idea was it for a Graduate Writing Center?

The initiative for the Graduate Writing Center came from the Graduate Student Resource Center Oversight Committee and the Graduate Students Association.

Who runs the Graduate Writing Center?

Marilyn Gray, the Graduate Writing Center director, is responsible for day-to-day operations of the GWC. (For more information, see the About Us page.)

Who funds the Graduate Writing Center?

The Graduate Writing Center is funded by a special Graduate Students Association fee. The fee was approved by a graduate student referendum in the spring of 2006 and moderately increased in 2013.

How do I make an appointment at the Graduate Writing Center?

Please make an appointment using our the Handshake appointment system. You are limited to scheduling one appointment per week in advance. For more information, click here.

When are the Graduate Writing Center workshops?

Workshops are offered at a variety of times, most of them in the afternoon during weeks two through nine of the quarter. Click here for the most up-to-date schedule.

Who works at the Graduate Writing Center?

The graduate writing consultants are graduate students from a variety of academic areas. They are trained to help graduate students with writing issues, which they do during consultation appointments. Graduate writing consultants help with GWC workshops and programs as well.

How can I work at the Graduate Writing Center as a writing consultant?

Annually, usually in late summer, we announce open writing consultant positions by sending an email announcement through departmental graduate student listservs. Graduate students may apply to work at the GWC at that time. Those selected will participate in mandatory training, which usually occurs in September before fall quarter begins.

How do I find a copy editor to review my written work?

Our graduate writing consultants do not edit or proofread. If you need copy editing or proofreading services, you will need to find and pay someone to do that kind of work. One way to find a graduate student is to advertise your job through the graduate student listservs in departments like English or Education (we do not provide this information, but departmental contact information is publicly available in the UCLA online directory). If you need help with a piece of writing that will be submitted for coursework or a formal requirement of your degree, you should also clear the use of an editor with your professor or academic advisor.

How do I get help with formatting my thesis or dissertation?

Help with style guide and thesis formatting, which are essentially copy editing issues, are not issues for which the Graduate Writing Center provides assistance. We have some resources for dissertators and thesis writers linked here. Graduate Division has formatting guidelines and samples posted here.