"Skype-Only" Designated Appointments. The GWC is currently offering a few appointments as "Skype only" writing appointments. These appointments are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to registered UCLA graduate students.
Skype or Phone Appointments By Request. When coming to campus is not feasible, graduate students may be permitted to turn a regular appointment into a phone or Skype appointment. These requests must be cleared with the GWC Director at least 24 hours in advance (one business day, excluding weekends). To request a phone or Skype appointment, email Marilyn Gray (email@example.com) with the reason for your request before signing up for an appointment. If coming to campus is not feasible on an ongoing basis, graduate students may request permission for phone or Skype appointments over a more extended period of time. Please explain the reason in the email request.
If you will have a Skype appointment, please use the instructions below:
We use Skype audio (no video) during the 50-minute appointment.
The evening before your appointment:
- Install the free Skype software on your computer if it is not already installed. Follow the instructions to create a username and password. Perform a test call to make sure your sound functions.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with three components: 1) put "Skype appointment" and the appointment time in the subject line; 2) attach the writing project that you want to discuss to the email; 3) tell us your Skype username in the body of the email.
- Send a contact request to our Skype account-- “uclagwc.” The GWC will accept you as a contact before your appointment starts.
At the time of your appointment:
- Have a copy of your writing project in front of you.
- Log in to Skype. Your consultant will call you at the scheduled time.